[AR] Re: Blue Origin

  • From: Lars Osborne <lars.osborne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:55:33 -0800

I think Buran was powered only for approach and landing tests--it landed
unpowered from its orbital flight.

You are correct. Sorry.

Thanks,
Lars Osborne

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Paul Mueller <paul.mueller.iii@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I think Buran was powered only for approach and landing tests--it landed
unpowered from its orbital flight.

Anyway, kudos to Blue Origin!

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 11:41 AM, <rclague@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I didn't think I needed to be pedantic and specify powered vertical
landing.

-R
------------------------------
*From: * Lars Osborne <lars.osborne@xxxxxxxxx>
*Sender: * arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Date: *Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:33:07 -0800
*To: *<arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*ReplyTo: * arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject: *[AR] Re: Blue Origin

Splitting hairs, but technically Buran had a powered landing.

I suppose that really makes this the first rocket only powered landing of
a stage after sending a payload to space and recovering all the pieces.

It's a huge accomplishment and I hope they are able to smoothly proceed
to regular flight ops. It is very pleasing that there has been no talk of
donating the flight article to a museum. After many false starts with
re-usable spacecraft, I hope we look back on this as the first that did so
with any regularity and was cost-effective enough to take paying passengers.

Lars

Thanks,
Lars Osborne

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 10:22 AM, <rclague@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I believe there have been successful parachute landings after 100+ km
flights, but this is the first successful powered landing after a 100+ km
flight. And they nailed it.

Nice job Blue Origin!

-R
------------------------------
*From: * "David Chandler" <dlc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
*Sender: * arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Date: *Tue, 24 Nov 2015 08:42:53 -0700
*To: *<arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*ReplyTo: * arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject: *[AR] Blue Origin

I'm surprised nobody on this list has yet mentioned yesterday's historic
flight by Blue Origin's New Shepard.
https://www.blueorigin.com/
I believe this is the first-ever successful vertical landing of a
spacecraft after a trip to space, is that not right? DC-X made some
vertical landings, but I don't think it ever flew to 100 km, did it?
Space-X will probably do it on their next flight or so, but it seems
that this is one for the history books.