[AR] Re: Astraseals vs. welding

  • From: "Troy Prideaux" <GEORDI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:25:05 +1100

Speaking of "kinda" monopropellants and thrusters, an idea I had a while ago
was an N2O thruster that would require minimal additional ignition energy
input. The concept was to start with a combustion chamber, but have 2 injection
points both directly opposing each other. Each injector would have an expansion
cone to accelerate the compressed gas to maximum mean velocity. The idea was
that this would maximise the stagnation energy potential of the colliding fluid
streams. A subtle addition of some volatile organic fluid into 1 or both of the
streams could be probably done via venturi to significantly increase ignition
sensitivity. This should (theoretically) minimize the additional energy
requirement from electric spark or thermal element to achieve ignition. Once
ignited there should be enough combustion energy to maintain combustion even
though expansion acceleration would be minimized.

Troy