[AR] Re: Astraseals vs. welding

  • From: "Monroe L. King Jr." <monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 16:22:45 -0700

 Soft anodizing may increase galling depending on the alloy. Hard will
work but it's more expensive.

Too much heat will remove your T rating anything annealed will need to
be retreated.

 If you have backgears on your lathe it may turn slow enough depending
on your diameter you need somewhere on the order of 3mm/second so it's
pretty slow. (for tig at 20 pluses per second newer tigs with faster
pulse rate would be slightly faster) mig I don't know but it would be
slightly faster than that. Steel quite a bit faster.

 COVER YOUR LATHE WAYS with something!

 Adding fuel to N2O would be complicated I would think that at the
mixing interface you would have a potential problem. Suspension would be
another issue. I wouldn't go there.

 The fella was right about sanding and wire brushing that does work.
There are lots of different thread approaches it might behoove you to
consider an alternative thread profile if it's that important to you.
(it can be that simple)

 Antigalling compound works very well but I don't know about
compatibility issues any thread sealer would likely perform the same
purpose except something like red locktite (or whatever # or color they
are using now for the thread locker stuff)