[AR] Re: ALASA cancelled because...

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:54:00 -0700

Firestar out in Mojave is pursuing something similar, nitrous-acetylene premix for a high-performance monopropellant with proprietary herbs and spices that allegedly stabilize it adequately under under some range of conditions and when used exclusively with their hardware. They've even been able to show good enough (theoretical) stability that they obtained (theoretical) permission to eventually fly a small propulsion demo on Station.

That last impressed me - Station management is pretty damn conservative about what they'll (provisionally) allow on board. They must have seen some convincing explanation as to why the stuff might actually be made reliably stable. (Mind, I'd be amazed if any such thing ever actually passes the practical proofs of safety JSC would insist on before actually flying it.)

So, somewhere there's a fairly convincing explanation of why this stuff is different. Hard to say any more though without actually seeing the (proprietary and/or classified) explanation. (Well, realistically, before seeing what independent experts say after seeing the explanation.)

Henry

On 11/30/2015 2:17 PM, David Weinshenker wrote:

Hmmm - nitrous oxide and acetylene (!), "'pre-mixed' to
reduce the plumbing needed on the rocket"... seems odd
that this would even be expected to work in the first
place, since neat acetylene is already too explosive
to handle as a condensed liquid or even as a compressed
(more than slightly) gas... what were they thinking? (Were
they hoping that "diluting" it with N2O might stabilize
against that or something?

-dave w