[AR] Re: ALASA cancelled because...

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:41:27 -0700

Your HOOOCCH report is still pretty funny. "300 kilograms of FLOX/Acetylozone was heated from its normal storage temperature of 8 degrees kelvin to a high point of about 9.3 degrees kelvin and subjected to a 0.1g shock. [mushroom cloud illo] We successfully determined an upper bound on shock sensitivity of bulk FLOX/Acetylozone, an important step towards large scale applications of HOOOCCH." Oh yeah.

You are, however, being just a *leetle* bit mean here. I'm going to continue for now to give benefit of the doubt to the various people who say they have good reason to believe that nitrous/acetylene premix can be made stable enough for use as a practical mixed monopropellant. The ones I know are very smart people. (Optimists, yeah - but who else will ever get into this business?)

Benefit of the doubt, yes. Bet heavily on the mix, no. Those good reasons, alas, remain either confidential or classified. And yeah, even with a chance to look those over I doubt I'd want to go anywhere near a load of the mix before a few years worth of repeatedly demonstrated stability.

I'm just glad they found out they had problems before some brave soul strapped himself into an F-15 with a tube full of this slung underneath.

Henry

On 11/30/2015 1:51 PM, George Herbert wrote:

The DARPA ALASA launcher appears to have been cancelled (rolled back to tech
development) because Boeing used a less stable variation on my
Poly-Acetyl-Ozone propellant technology of a decade ago and, well, ...

As Chris Carson commented a bit ago on Facebook, "Where's my Earth-Shattering Kaboom?.."
"Oh, there it is."

http://spacenews.com/darpa-airborne-launcher-effort-falters/

https://web.archive.org/web/20121109235533/http://www.retro.com/hooocch/acezone.html

George William Herbert