[AR] Re: 500,000 tons

  • From: Chris Jones <clj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 01:46:45 -0400

On 4/7/2014 11:11 PM, Keith Henson wrote:
On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Lars Osborne <lars.osborne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yeah, But are you really satisfied with 500,000 tons to orbit per year? We
will never be able to build a Dyson sphere at that rate, and bring us to a
type II civilization.

I know you are pulling my leg, but as I mentioned, the lift rate needs
to rise to 10 million tons per year.  Half a million is just a start.
[...]
How could laser skylons possibly launch once every second? It just isn't
enough.

It's not impossible.  Every day 93,000 flights are starting from
approx. 9,000 airports.

86,400 seconds in a day, so there is more than one take off per second.

So, in addition to this unflown launcher, whose designers have failed
previously to deliver something simpler, you are requiring either a doubling of our airport capacity or the cessation of aviation to allow for the launches to support a technology which hasn't been demonstrated in prototype form?

Why isn't this a loony idea?