Re: [ARMini-support] uSD card image uploaded

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:42:56 GMT

In message <op.v926wfq0j3f71s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          albutat <albutat@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 22.02.2012, 13:49 Uhr, schrieb A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Well, I now managed to upgrade too by copying the above files via
>>> Jeffrey's SD create. This at least results in booting to the supervisor
>>> shell since it keeps looking for a scsi::0 drive. No success
>>> whatsoever in telling it to boot from scsi::4.$ Instead copied
>>> !Boot and all the run/look at files on a USB pen drive. TBH this
>>> seems like a big step backward, 2010 to be precise. What's the advantage
>>> in not being able to boot from your harddisk, using a slowish USB device
>>> instead? At least got it working though. Now looking forward to
>>> Sprow's CMOS hardware thingy.
>>
>> If you save your CMOS settings booting from drive 4, using !SaveCMOS,
>> then all should be well.  No pen required.
>>

> I'll give it a try later, cheers.

Patric

I have a hard drive attached to my BeagleBoard -Xm and I have managed
to ensure that it still boots to that after the upgrade.

I first ensured I saved out the CMOS file from my card and then used
SDCreate to build a new image.

I used the MLO and UBoot files from the uSDcard zip file that Andrew
and RComp have supplied and crucially made sure when creating the
image that I had SDCreate looking at the CMOS file. If you don't put a
copy in via the bottom CMOS File entry in SDCreate's control panel
then it places a clean CMOS file of it's own which does indeed try to
boot to SCSI::0.

Anyway after a slight diversion caused by an issue with SDCreate 1.20
which Jeffrey Lee sort within an hour of me posting on the ROOL site,
thanks Jeffrey, I was able to have a play with RComp's 5.18 and also
update to the development version of 5.19 as well.

Hope this helps and gives you confidence that the upgrade soes work as
long as you make sure you have an old working CMOS file to hand.

Thanks also to Andrew and RComp for further updates via the
Beagleboard scheme.

Doug

--
Using an IYONIX pc and RISC OS 5.19, the thinking person's alternative
operating system to Microsoft Windows.