Re: [ARMini-support] uSD card image uploaded

  • From: albutat <albutat@xxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:34:53 +0100

Am 22.02.2012, 13:49 Uhr, schrieb A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Well, I now managed to upgrade too by copying the above files via
Jeffrey's SD create. This at least results in booting to the supervisor
shell since it keeps looking for a scsi::0 drive. No success
whatsoever in telling it to boot from scsi::4.$ Instead copied
!Boot and all the run/look at files on a USB pen drive. TBH this
seems like a big step backward, 2010 to be precise. What's the advantage
in not being able to boot from your harddisk, using a slowish USB device
instead? At least got it working though. Now looking forward to
Sprow's CMOS hardware thingy.

If you save your CMOS settings booting from drive 4, using !SaveCMOS,
then all should be well.  No pen required.

I'll give it a try later, cheers.

Indeed, your old CMOS settings, if saved via !SaveCMOS, should work
fine with 5.18 now your card is properly updated.  You were only
affected by the problem because your SD card files were too old to
cope with uenv.txt boot scripts.

Most pens should perform on a par with hard drives via the USB stack
on RISC OS format (limiting factor is the USB stack and un-cached disc
format), so it shouldn't affect you either way.

The default was changed because ROOL supply their !Boots on pen drive,
and that's also how the ARMini boots (ARMini can use both pen and
drive).

Since pen drives are "solid state", you should actually get better
access times etc, but the controllers in most pen drives are quite
limited compared to SSDs.

Remember that the hard drive you mention will be going through a USB
adapter which will impose its own performance restrictions.

Until a board exists with native SATA and/or Filecore gains more
caching, the USB sub-system will continue to be the bottleneck :(

We'll have to live with this bottleneck for some time I reckon. Perhaps
until we see a developement board using the CortexA-15 (which sports
USB 3 AIU).

On the positive side though: your 5.18 ROM does seem to offer significant
improvements, not that I ever doubted it. Well done!

Patric
---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/armini-support
List-related queries to support@xxxxxxxxxxxx