Re: [ARMini-support] Plusnet authentification

  • From: Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 18:55:18 +0000 (GMT)

In article <549cf73431chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <a044f29c54.johng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    John Gillard <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The Iyonix is using an older Messenger but the same Netfetch.  The
> > problem on the Armini happened suddenly with 7.06 and 7.08 has not
> > solved it.

> I think you are slightly misunderstanding how these various mail
> setups work. Messenger is only a mail/news reader - it has nothing to
> do with the 'communication' side of things, nor indeed does NetFetch
> itself, which is primarily a wimp front-end to ease the configuration
> side of things and to launch other apps as needed. I assume you are
> using Hermes as your mail fetcher and presumably NewsHound if you use
> news groups. It is Hermes that does the mail send/fetch and looks
> after fetching RSS feeds. Has anything changed in that?

> I do not think PlusNet would make a change to authentication
> requirements without posting service notices to give plenty of
> warning. I certainly haven't seen anything (I an subscribed to the
> PlusNet status and announement newsgroups), and I do not need to use
> authentication to send mail (at the moment).

For what it is worth. I've been told that plusnet, talk talk, BT etc
initially use the IP address it has allocated to the router to
authenticate email access and if this is not recognised then requires user
name / password (or inmsome cases both). If John's router retains a log of
all the events and he finds that just before he had the problem it was
disconnected eg due to work at the "exchange" it is very likely that he
would have been issued a different IP address when reconnected. If that
was in a new range of addresses allocated to Plusnet it may not have yet
been registered with their email servers and thus gave "authentification
invalid". I first came across a similar problem with BT's news server
(Giganews not now included with BT) which only authenticated by IP address
where the only way around it was to turn off the router and then reconnect
which resulted in a different IP address being allocated which hopefully
was in the range of addresses registered with the news server.

Alan

--
alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx