[argyllcms] Re: question about monitor calibration

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 10:05:01 -0500

I would like to bring to your attention that matching the "brightness" of
the print is not optimal for the following reason.

Assuming the calibrated while point then is made equal to the print
luminance.

Take an image viewed in Photoshop, using "Simulate Paper White", which is
what you want to use for soft-proofing images on a monitor, the calibrated
white point luminance then is significantly reduced down because of the
print/paper white point L* value which is NOT 100. In the case of
SWOP2006_C3, for instance, the monitor white point has to come down from L*
= 100 = 160 cd/m2, say for IDEAlliance and Fogra certification, to L* = 92 =
about 130 cd/m2.

So it might be a good idea to crank out the monitor calibrated luminance in
anticipation for this effect. Instead of matching exactly the measured
"brightness" of the print, why not bump it up a little? So that when
Photoshop "Simulate Paper White Point" kicks in, we retain much of the
measured "brightness" falling on the print.

My two cents.

/ Roger Breton