[argyllcms] question about monitor calibration

  • From: Alberto Ferrante <alberto.ferrante@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:08:20 +0100

Dear all,
I would like to ask a clarification about monitor calibration. In
particular, I am interested in understanding better what happens when a
viewing condition adjustment (-a) is used in dispcal. If I specify -a
11, that is the number measured through my colorimeter, the calibration
profile makes the gamma visibly higher (i.e., the images look visibly
darker). If I use a color-managed application and I use the color
profile (obtained through dispread) the images gets back to the original
gamma.
Now I have two questions:
1) why is the image getting darker by using -a? Shouldn't it be lighter
to cope with a non dark room?
2) When the color profile the luminosity correction is disregarded: this
does not make sense to me, because it is like assuming that, when a
color-managed application is used, the lights in the room get adjusted.

Can anybody explain this strange (to me) behavior?

Best regards,
        Alberto

--
Home page: http://www.alari.ch/people/alberto