[argyllcms] Re: problem loading LUT-based icc profile to CRT

  • From: David Heinrich <dh003i@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:00:13 -0500

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> David Heinrich wrote:
>
>  Have you tried loading "strange.cal" from the argyll ref directory,
>>> to get a more obvious visual indication that the calibration gets loaded
>>> ?
>>>

>> What do I do to do that?
>>

> dispwin strange.cal
>

>  Does that mean it is probably working? Any reason it wouldn't be if the
>> software says it is?
>>

> There's no absolute guarantee that the hardware is actually using
> the video lookup tables. There have been reports in the past
> of X11 systems that say they've loaded the tables, but the tables
> didn't actually change what was displayed.
>

>  Here's the result, I see no EDIT or EDID_DATA field.
>>
>> $ xrandr --prop
>>

> Hmm. That doesn't really look like I'd expect.
>

>  Ok, me and Troy Sobotka (mostly him) figured out the issue. Argyll's
>> dispwin
>> was operating on the wrong display! I wasn't specifying -d2, and I needed
>> to. Running
>>
>> sudo dispwin -r -d1
>> sudo dispwin -r -d2
>>
>> resolved it. with -d2, I noticed the CRT lightening and darkening. Not so
>> with -d1.
>>

> It would be interesting to see a "dispwin -?" output. Normally the
> primary display should be -d1. The other thing dispwin can be used for
> is simply to identify the display:- running dispwin without arguments
> puts up a test window that starts cycling through some test colors.
>
> Glad you figured some things out though.

Thanks. Some other things worth noting in my predicament. I have my CRT
plugged in through CRT-BNC => VGA => DVI-adapter-conerter => left port on
Radeon HD 4670. On the right port, I have a Viewsonic VP2290B plugged in.

$ sudo ./dispwin -?
Test display patch window, Set Video LUTs, Install profiles, Version
1.1.0_RC2
Author: Graeme W. Gill, licensed under the GPL Version 3