[argyllcms] Re: noise and gamut, input profiles with B2A table

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:43:19 +1000

Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
OK - thanks for confirming - I thought that was the case, I just wanted to check there wasn't something else going on behind the scenes. You have me wondering now about thresholding as a means of ignoring outliers due to noise. Something to ponder. :)

It's a reasonable thought if typical images have such outliers. There
are many possibilities though. For instance an almost equivalent
idea would be to alter the gamut mapping so that a percentage
of the source gamut ends up getting clipped. This might
be possible currently by creating a new gamut mapping template
in xicc.c.

There are many different filters that you might apply to the image.
Downsampling is one, which groups colors that a spatially close
and averages them. Another would be a quantizing algorithm, that
groups colors that are close together in color space and averages them.
(I'd be inclined to look at the latter first - I started work at one
 stage on a program to create a test chart based on an images colors
 using median cut quantization algorithm, borrowing it from the
 one I created for xli, and the same approach could be used).

Just thinking aloud here - so ignore at will, but how about...

iccprof
mkiccprof
devlink
mkdevlink
mkicclink

colprof
collink

are two other ideas I'm still considering.

cheers,