[argyllcms] Re: calibration vs profiling

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:47:32 -0700

On Friday 27 June 2008 06:16:50 am Adrian Mariano wrote:
snip
> So if I don't have any CMS aware applications, and I just want to load a
> monitor calibration at boot time into X then profiling won't do any good
> for me?

As has been said this depends on your applications.  But there are more and
more CM aware apps out there and some of these are fairly common.  For examle
FireFox 3.0 is now CM aware.   I have this installed on my X11 system and
configured to use CM and it works nicely.

> (X isn't CMS aware, is it?)

OpenICC has a Google Sumer of Code project that is working on this.  The
student working on this has had a working code base for a few weeks now and is
making very good progress.  So it is correct to say that X currently is not CM
aware but that this may change in the not too distant future.

Hal