[argyllcms] Re: basic icc profile for printer output using 24 patches?

  • From: "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:17:44 +0300

> A single device profile can be used to translate between PCS and
> device values, so it is sometimes possible to print an equivalent
> of something like the Macbeth Colorchecker if you know it's
> XYZ or L*a*b* values, and use this as a verification mechanism
> for a profile, if you have a D50 viewing environment in which
> to do the visual check. This doesn't help you make the profile
> in the first place though.

I was hoping to be able to generate a profile compensating for the
ink/paper and driver influence. I have 2x24 values: Those resulting from
a scan of an original colorchecker, and those of the scan of the
printout. The difference between these values should allow some kind of
correction function to be applied. I know that I cannot get all
parameters that are to be handled by a profile. I was wondering if there
are routines to generate this matching table in the form of a simplified
profile included in argyll.

I have been using a similar approach for color correction with the tool
macbethcal, which is part of the radiance light simulation distribution
(radsite.lbl.gov). This also just created a simple correction function.
The problem is that it works only on tiffs and not from inside
applications, so I would have to establish an export-correct-print
workflow for everything.

Maybe I am completely wrong? Thank You for all the information... Lars.