[argyllcms] Re: X3D and X3DOM support

  • From: Florian Höch <lists+argyllcms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:15:43 +0200

Hi,

I've looked into creating a minimal cross-platform VRML viewer suitable
for Argyll CMS VRML viewing for quite some time, but the time
requirements needed for such a project have prevented me from actually
starting it, and so I eventually scrapped the idea (for Linux and Mac OS
X, there is an alternative in the form of ICC Examin though which is
part of Oyranos).

What I'm currently planning is a minimal VRML to X3DOM converter with
only support for the subset of functionality that would be needed to
convert Argyll CMS VRML files. The utility would become part of
dispcalGUI at some point, and you would be able to assign .wrl and .wrz
files to be handled by it so that if you open them, they are
automatically converted to the necessary HTML and then simply viewed by
whatever program you have configured as HTML viewer (so, usually your
browser). The benefit of this approach is that the time needed to write
the utility should be much less, because I don't need to write an actual
viewer. No ETA though :)

--
Florian Höch