[argyllcms] Re: Uv-cut i1Pro with OBA paper and proper reading

  • From: ridouan <ridouan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:03:04 +0100

On 17-01-2012 16:38, Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Dye inks are not really usable outdoors for longer periods. That includes the OBAs in the paper, dye based too. Short term color constancy is then a minor problem compared to the speed of fading and related color shifts.

Would that not be an (strong) argument for the use of UV-cut instruments if one is using paper with OBA? I guess one would need to take into account the specific decay time of the fluorescent dye, but in the long term the UV-cut instrument may actually proof the more accurate one, since it measures the future response to light of the paper (I know I'm ignoring the effect of ink-fading by saying this...).

To be honest, I never gave the effect of ink-fluorescence much/any thought, but given your posts it seems it might be yet another factor in determining ink permanence... Somebody with a fluorometer could make an interesting hobby project out of this, to create a database with OEM and 3rd party ink performance.

Kind regards,
Ridouan.