[argyllcms] Re: Spyder2 with Argyll V1.0.1 vs V0.70 (BETA 8)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:44:10 +1000

L wrote:

Graeme, I wonder if it might be helpful for people if the Argyll error messages contained documentation urls.

I don't think so, no. It's rare that an error has such a simple
cause and effect connection. Most errors are (by definition) events
caused by something unanticipated happening, and the cause
isn't knowable ahead of time. Error messages that point off to
generalized error fault finding I think are fairly useless
(ie. like Microsofts Device Manager "Troubleshooter").

I did try and propagate the specific hint for this error up to the user
("Have you run spyd2en ?"), and this is what happens for spotread, but
dispcal etc. have another layer, and the specific hint wasn't making through.
I'll fix this up.

sid only had 6.something - issues with foss licensing. Graeme, thanks for the positive feedback about fedora - I'm tempted to give it a try.

It might be a hardware thing, and Fedora just happened to have better
support (ie. more recently updated).