[argyllcms] Re: Silly questions about making a printer profile, more questions.

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 14:13:13 -0600

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 11:59 -0600, Leonard Evens wrote:
> I have done this before, but it was a while back.
>
> The instructions for making a printer profile start off with two
> examples using targen
>
> targen -v  -d3 -f1053 PrinterA
> targen -v  -d4 -l260 -f1053 PrinterB
>
> Looking at what I did the last time, I did run both of them (withy
> parameters I chose).
>
> Is it correct that I only need to do one,  or are both needed for later
> steps?   Looking ahead at the instructions,  I don't see anything
> suggesting both are needed, but I am not sure.
>
> Also,  I have an example of a profile provided by Epson for the printer
> and paper I am going to use.  Is there some way to tell from looking at
> the profile how many samples I need to ask for in targen?   Is it going
> to be the same as the number of entries in a LUT in the Epson profile?

Targen gives recommendations for the number of patches dependent on the
paper size and includes a multiplier.   Can I assume that the
4 x Letter recommendation would be a appropriate for a profile to  use
when making 16 x 20 prints?  Do I then  use 16 x 20 (actually 17 x 22)
sheets to make the profile?  I am using an Eye-One_Pro which allows me
to scan strips.  I don't remember how it worked, but I don't want to use
any more paper than I have to.

How much do I lose by using a profile made with letter size paper with
large prints?

--
Leonard Evens len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University