[argyllcms] Re: Recommended LCD monitor?

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:12:01 -0600

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 17:51 -0600, Leonard Evens wrote:
> I am ready to give up on my Samsung 226CW.  I had a lot of success with
> a Viewpoint CRT, but it just got to dim, which is why I bought the
> Samsung.
> (Because of my back I can't manage the weight of a CRT.)   I called
> Xrite about another matter and was told they regularly have problems
> advising people with Samsungs, but that almost any other of the standard
> brands in the range $300-600 should produce decent results.  (I can't
> see spending several thousand on a first class professional monitor, and
> I shouldn't need one for the work I do.)
>
> I was looking at some monitors at Office Depot today, and i noticed that
> the adjustments for Viewpoint monitors seemed similar to those on my
> CRT, although I suppose they do entirely different things.   I had a
> good understanding of what I was doing when calibrating/profiling my
> CRT, but I am still not clear what the best procedure should be for an
> LCD, partly because it is not very clear just what the controls do.
>
> Any recommendations for a monitor that was easy to work with?

I found at clarkvision.com, a site I've found useful before, the
suggestion that one should avoid a TN monitor and use an S-IPS monitor
instead.
The reason is to provide less dependence on viewing angle.

I have notices with my Smasung monitor that there is a strong dependence
on the vertical viewing angle, so my position with respect to the
monitor is important in order to avoid an apparent vertical gradient.

Given that I can control just how I view the monitor, how important is
this?   Are all TN type monitors deficient in this respect, or are some
better than others?