[argyllcms] Re: Recommended LCD monitor?

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 07:50:28 -0800

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 07:12:01 Leonard Evens wrote:
> I found at clarkvision.com, a site I've found useful before, the
> suggestion that one should avoid a TN monitor and use an S-IPS monitor
> instead.
> The reason is to provide less dependence on viewing angle.
>
> I have notices with my Smasung monitor that there is a strong dependence
> on the vertical viewing angle, so my position with respect to the
> monitor is important in order to avoid an apparent vertical gradient.
>
> Given that I can control just how I view the monitor, how important is
> this?   Are all TN type monitors deficient in this respect, or are some
> better than others?

All LCD monitors have this issue to some extent.  But TN panels are the worst
in this regard and S-IPS panels are the best panels but still not perfect.
This is one of the areas where CRTs are significantly better than LCDs since
CRTs (along with plasma and OLED displays) do not have viewing angle related
hue and contrast shifts at least until the viewing angle becomes fairly
extreme.  With larger LCD panels it can be an issue even if you keep your
viewing position in one place since you will have different viewing angles for
the middle, top, bottom, left and right sides of the display.

Hal