[argyllcms] R: Re: Re-using and refining an old ICC profile...

  • From: "Massimo Colagrande" <massimo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 21:58:35 +0200

Thanks a lot,
I'll try it and see what happens.
Regards
Massimo Colagrande

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: argyllcms-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:argyllcms-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Per conto di Graeme Gill
Inviato: martedì 19 gennaio 2016 04:16
A: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oggetto: [argyllcms] Re: Re-using and refining an old ICC profile...

Massimo Colagrande wrote:

Hi,

My question is: Is there a way to refine the old ICC Profile created
on the old scanner with the CCSG using a CC24 on the new scanner ? Maybe
using the Refine/Tweak tool ?

It sounds plausible, although it's not something I've ever tried.

The
possible problems I see are: 1) The number of patches on the 2 .ti3
files (the old one builded on the CCSG) and the new one (builded on the
CC24) is different.

That's not a problem when using refine. You refine the profile created from
your original scanners .ti3 file, and apply the abstract profile created by
refine from the CC24 scanned on your new scanner and the CC24 measuered CIE
values.

The question is whether the abstract profile will carry along the
corrections widely enough to cover the whole gamut from the 24 patches, as
refine deliberately limits the width of change around them. Ideally refine
would have a tunable parameter to address this.

You may find using refine gives you a better result, or you may find that it
gives a similar or worse result to creating a profile direction from the
CC24.

2) I don’t
understand how the refine/tweak tool work; If it just merge the 2 data
set I guess there could be problems as the old and new scanner may see
slightly differently colors.
I guess a refining tool which make a sort of adaptation or global
adjustment of the old profile based on the new data from the CC24
would be the solution... but I’m not sure if there is anything like
that in Argyll or if I can obtain this result in some other way.

Just follow the example:
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/refine.html>
adapting it suitably for your situation.