[argyllcms] Re-using and refining an old ICC profile...

  • From: "Massimo Colagrande" <massimo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 15:42:26 +0200

Hello,
In the past I succesfully created an ICC Color Profile with Argyll for an Input
device (a scanner) using a ColorChecker SG (140 patches). Therefore I have the
ICC profile and also the .ti3 file which contains the original patches
reference and measured LAB values.
This ICC profile worked perfectly with this specific scanner !
Today I have several new scanners of the same type (same brand, same CCD, same
light source, etc.). As expected the ICC profile I created in the past works
quite well but not perfectly as in the first scanner on which I created it
(even after linearizing the gray values to the same exact reference values).
I don’t want to use a ColorChecker SG anymore to profile the new scanners (it’s
quite expensive and reading 140 patches requires times and it’s easy to make
mistakes). My idea is to use the ColorChecker 24 which only contains 24 patches
and it’s much less expensive.
Unfortunately an ICC Profile builded on the ColorChecker 24 is only better on
some colors (but much worst on other).

My question is:
Is there a way to refine the old ICC Profile created on the old scanner with
the CCSG using a CC24 on the new scanner ? Maybe using the Refine/Tweak tool ?
The possible problems I see are:
1) The number of patches on the 2 .ti3 files (the old one builded on the CCSG)
and the new one (builded on the CC24) is different.
2) I don’t understand how the refine/tweak tool work; If it just merge the 2
data set I guess there could be problems as the old and new scanner may see
slightly differently colors. I guess a refining tool which make a sort of
adaptation or global adjustment of the old profile based on the new data from
the CC24 would be the solution... but I’m not sure if there is anything like
that in Argyll or if I can obtain this result in some other way.

Any idea/suggestion is appreciated.

Regards

Massimo Colagrande