[argyllcms] Question about behavior of profiled monitor - not sure how to interpret what I see

  • From: William Fissell <wfissell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:24:18 -0600

Hi,

thank you all for putting up with a newbie question. I used AygllCMS
on my linux (fedora 17) system to profile and calibrate my sony
sdm-hs17 monitor wiht an i1pro colorimeter/spectrophotometer. Now, in
color managed apps like firefox, GIMP when the color management
settings are turend on, or darktable, I get reasonable agreement
between how I see images on my color-managed PC. I used the Gary
Ballard website to verify that the monitor is in fact being color
managed by X windows. So far, all good.

Now for what confuses me:  if I view the same image in a color managed
app versus a non-color-managed app, or if I switch off color
management in GIMP, the image is much more saturated and natural
looking if color management is disabled. I understand - before I get
flamed here- that color management is trying to deliver
device-independent uniform appearance of the image, NOT a pretty or
high gamut or better looking image.  My question is mostly that I
don't understand the behavior- why does this happen?  It happened
TWICE in fact- I was so disgusted with the poorly saturated images on
a a newer ACER monitor that I profiled that I switched back to my
older sony. Same problem.   It looks much like Photoshop looks on the
PC when I have the 'desaturate monitor colors by 20%' box ticked.

I can kinda force the colors back to what I feel they 'ought to be' by
boosting saturation and moving the black point of the levels control
up a bit.

Can someone explain the behavior to me, and tell me if this is what I
ought to expect?

thanks!

Blil