[argyllcms] Re: Question about behavior of profiled monitor - not sure how to interpret what I see

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 16:12:52 +1100

William Fissell wrote:
> Now for what confuses me:  if I view the same image in a color managed
> app versus a non-color-managed app, or if I switch off color
> management in GIMP, the image is much more saturated and natural
> looking if color management is disabled.

> Can someone explain the behavior to me, and tell me if this is what I
> ought to expect?

Hi,
        it's often difficult to track down what's going on, because
there are a lot of moving parts.
If you can reproduce the same viewing pipeline that the creator of
the image used, then in principle you can see what the creator intended,
but several things could explain why you see disappointing images.

6 possibilities spring to mind, not all of which are equally probable:

1) Even though the originator has labelled the image with a color profile
   (and I am assuming this is the case, or it wouldn't be worth talking about),
   maybe they had a poor profile, or something about their proofing
   workflow was misconfigured, and they compensated for this by
   adjusting the image.

2) Perhaps their display profile was accurate and configured correctly,
   but it didn't allow for their viewing conditions, and the compensated
   for this with adjustments to the image.

3) Maybe you are using a poor profile, or something about your viewing
   workflow is misconfigured.

4) Perhaps your display profile is accurate and workflow configured correctly,
   but your display is adjusted in such a way that it isn't capable of
displaying
   a very good looking image.

5) Perhaps your display profile is accurate and workflow configured correctly
   and your display is capable of delivering good looking images,
   but your viewing conditions are not being taken into account or
   makes it impossible for the display to convey good looking images.

6) Perhaps the whole color management pipeline is working correctly,
   and the originator of the image intended that it look the way it does.

It's hard to know which of these possibilities is more likely without
being able to actually see it. From your description, maybe 5), if you
have a very bright environment and the display is struggling to compete
with it. If so, see if darkening your surround (and possibly dropping the
black  level to maintain contrast ratio) moves it in the right direction.