[argyllcms] Printer gamut

  • From: Milton Taylor <milton.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:12:23 +1100

Question:

How does the argyll software go about determining the extremities of a printer's gamut? Assuming it has no 'starting point' profile when the test charts are generated, unless it manages to generate a full range of RGB values that correspond to the printer's most saturated colours, I can't see how it would know? And since the device RGB values that correspond to the most saturated colors could not be known, I imagine it would be easy to end up with very few patches that cover certain parts of the gamut that might be the critical parts, especially if the device gamut was rather non-uniform.

I have since found that the profile I generated...which used three A4 sheets, i.e. 3000 odd patches, is still not as wide as the printer manufacturer's profile for the same printer. (I used the VRML viewer to compare the two). In particular, my one falls short by quite a way on the saturated greens and some of the blue hues.

This does explain some of the things I have been seeing as I have been experimenting.

Perhaps I should have used Canon's profile as my starting point...but this one is mainly used in Perceptual intent (well that's what's in the profile), and for a different paper type so I didn't want to start off on the wrong foot. I will try it anyway into targen for a rough profile and see what it comes up with.