[argyllcms] Re: Poor Man's Colorimeter

  • From: Richard Kirk <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 17:49:20 +0100

Hi.

I have done a lot of this sort of thing. It can work if you restrict yourself
to one illuminant and one medium. So, if you can produce one set of
decent-sized patches which you can measure with the spectrometer, then you can
get a set of scanner RGB and corresponding spectrometer XYZ which you can then
use to interpolate. However, the interpolation will only convert a particular
set of CMY inks with a particular halftoning on a particular paper to the XYZ
for the same medium measured under the particular illuminant (or any illuminant
if you measure your illuminant, and it is broad-band enough to correct).

I am not sure whether this is possible for you. If you were scanning old
postcards, or watercolour paintings, or something where you cannot make a
representative test patch, then there is probably not much you can do. But if
you can produce test images, then this is the sort of thing that worked in the
motion picture industry for calibrating scanners and film printers.

Cheers.
Richard Kirk