[argyllcms] Please summarize information about Sansung Syncmaster XL20

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:38:33 -0500

  I decided to buy one on the basis that Kurt Roeckx has been using one
successfully under (Debian) Linux.  I also examined the User's Guide and
found that it includes minimal information about setting the monitor up
under Linux, i.e. X, which is more than you usually learn about
monitors.  I realize it may not give me perfect results, but I think I
will be able to do better than I have been able to with my Samsung
Syncmaster 226CW.   $800 is more than I would like to spend, but I am
getting tired of continually trying to get an acceptable calibration
with limited success.

I've been following the discussion of the Samsung XL20 with limited
success, and I would appreciate a summary of the high points which will
help me set it up.

I am running Fedora Linux 9 (and I also have Ubuntu 8.04 on a laptop).
I have an Eye One Pro.   I would like guidance about the following
points.

1. I presume I can set it up initially as a generic LCD with 1600 x 1200
resolution, and my system will detect the HorizSync and VertRefresh.  Or
will I have to start in text mode and configure xorg.conf?

2.  Should I use the Huey that comes with the monitor to
calibrate/profile or would I be better off using my Eye One Pro?

3.  To what extent can I use the monitor calibration/profiling utilities
under Linux?  My impression from the discussion is that I can do some of
it that way, and then I can do the rest using the Argyll programs.

4.  Any other advice would also be appreciated.

--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University