[argyllcms] Re: Please summarize information about Sansung Syncmaster XL20

  • From: Kurt Roeckx <kurt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:56:52 +0200

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:38:33AM -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:
>   I decided to buy one on the basis that Kurt Roeckx has been using one
> successfully under (Debian) Linux.  I also examined the User's Guide and
> found that it includes minimal information about setting the monitor up
> under Linux, i.e. X, which is more than you usually learn about
> monitors.  I realize it may not give me perfect results, but I think I
> will be able to do better than I have been able to with my Samsung
> Syncmaster 226CW.   $800 is more than I would like to spend, but I am
> getting tired of continually trying to get an acceptable calibration
> with limited success.
>
> I've been following the discussion of the Samsung XL20 with limited
> success, and I would appreciate a summary of the high points which will
> help me set it up.
>
> I am running Fedora Linux 9 (and I also have Ubuntu 8.04 on a laptop).
> I have an Eye One Pro.   I would like guidance about the following
> points.
>
> 1. I presume I can set it up initially as a generic LCD with 1600 x 1200
> resolution, and my system will detect the HorizSync and VertRefresh.  Or
> will I have to start in text mode and configure xorg.conf?

I have no idea about Fedora, but I guess you can change that
somewhere in one of there config screen.  Recent versions of X are
pretty good in detecting everything for you.  I only had to change
my list of allow resolutions, since my previous screen didn't do
so well with such high resolutions.

> 2.  Should I use the Huey that comes with the monitor to
> calibrate/profile or would I be better off using my Eye One Pro?

I think you're better of with the Eye One Pro.  As I understand
things, the Eye One Pro is a spectrometer and the Huey is a
colorimeter.

> 3.  To what extent can I use the monitor calibration/profiling utilities
> under Linux?  My impression from the discussion is that I can do some of
> it that way, and then I can do the rest using the Argyll programs.

Calibration basicly exists of 2 parts:
- Changing settings on the screen itself, like brigthness and white point.
  I used the argyll tools to see what happens if I change settings
  on the screen.
- Measuring the response curve to change the gamma to the desired
  value.  This gets stored in the icc file and is used to change
  the LUT.

The profiling does things like measuring your primary colors, white
point, and also saves that in the icc file.

Kurt