[argyllcms] Re: New to color management

  • From: "Lars Tore Gustavsen" <lars.tore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:34:07 +0100

On 1/24/08, Geert Janssens <in> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let me start by saying I am new to Color Management. I would like to start
> profiling my work environment. I am working on linux, and my quest for decent
> profiling tools on that platform brought me to Argyll CMS.

First what do you mean by work environment. Are you indicating
printer, monitor, camera,scanner  and the ambient light in the room?

> I am not sure what profiling device (of spectometer ?) I should buy. None are
> officially supported under linux by their respective vendors/manufacturers. I
> found Argyll CMS does support a number of them, so that's why I am here. I
> still have a few questions though before I go out and buy one. If I am on the
> wrong list with these questions, you can just point me to the correct one.

I think you mix up colorimeter and spectrometers. You can read more
about the different instruments in chapter 4 of the book Understanding
Color Management by
Abhay Sharma online either at amazon.com or at books.google.com.
 I also think you are on the perfectly right list. There are a lot of
pages on the net with buying recommendations and tests. The problem
with this is of course that they normally write about the bundled
software and the accuracy of the profiles created with that software.
I guess you are interested in the quality of the hardware.

> * Is there a lot of difference in profiling quality between the different
> spectrometers ? I mean, given that all of them would be used with Argyll CMS,
> would one spectrometer result in a better (more acurate) color profile than
> another ?

Someone else may answer this.

> * If that is the case, what can you recommend ? What's your experience with
> different spectrometers ?
> * Reading through the Argyll CMS documentation, I read that I would require
> some test charts to profile printers and scanners. Are such test charts
> provided with the spectrometers or do I have to buy them separatly ? If so,
> where could I buy these ?

The short answer are, it is  possible to create printer charts with
argyllcms.  You need a spectrometer or a scanner to "read" the chart.

> * I live in Belgium (Europe). On my search for a spectrometer, I currently
> have only found the Spyder2 from ColorVision. I can't find any other brand in
> the shops I visited. Does anyone in Europe know where I would be able to buy
> one of the other models (should they be more appropriate) ? I don't mind
> buying these things via an online shop, as long the website has got a decent
> reputation.
> * It seems the Spyder2 will not be around for much longer. Colorvision's is
> currently selling a sequel: the Spyder3. How different would this one be from
> the Spyder2 ? What are the odds it would work out of the box, provided I use
> the correct firmware that comes with it ?
>
> I know that's a lot of newbie questions. I hope you guys can help me a little
> further.
>
> Thanks in advance !
>
> Geert Janssens
> --

I think the odds are close to zero for using the spyder3 with argyllcms.
The spyder2 should work fine but you have use  firmware stripped from
a dll file. Normally people on this list recommend the eye-one display
2 or the cheaper huey, because of the firmware workaround.   All this
devices are colorimeters. If you are looking for a spectrophotometer
look for a package called eye-one photo LT.

Regards
Lars Tore Gustavsen