[argyllcms] Re: New to color management

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:56:02 +1100

Geert Janssens wrote:

I have no idea (yet) how important ambient light is, and how to compensate for it. The primary PC is relatively far away from any direct outside light, and there is always artificial light in that room. The other PC's are more exposed. One is a laptop, and moves, so it will be hard to compensate for ambient light all of the time for it.

I wouldn't worry too much about that initially. Far more challenging
is figuring out how each component in your workflow deals with color,
and how you want to change it.

What I am mainly interested in is what tool do I need to get at least reasonable results. At first I thought I would require a spectrometer in order to accurately profile my printer. The Argyll CMS documentation also explains how to do this with a scanner, and explains the limitations of this method. But I have no idea how much accuracy I would loose with this method. What are others people's experiences here ?

Using a scanner instead of an instrument is only an option for those
who must spend no money. The result may be better than nothing, but
it will be more like good luck than anything else, if the results
satisfactory. For a serious attempt at sorting color out,
you need an instrument.

I suppose you mean that the firmware workaround required for the spyder2 makes it less recommended than the eye-one display or the huey ?

It makes it a little more awkward, but it is more that DataColor is
currently rather hostile to Linux users, and it is better simply
not to support them, unless they change their tune a bit.