[argyllcms] Multithreading support

  • From: Michael Darling <darlingm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 22:23:33 -0400

Any thoughts of making Argyll threaded?

In a many hour colprof run.  (I know the docs say -qu over -qh doesn't do
anything but run slower, but I want to see it.)

I know speeding up -qu must not be high on the priority list, but this
(presumably) would speed up the other modes as well.

It's bouncing between 12% and 13% CPU usage.  8 logical cores on  my
machine, so looks like it isn't threaded.  I'm assuming the operation here
has parallel elements to benefit from threading, but I could of course be
wrong.

The long stage is the "There are 2 rev cache instances with 10241 Mbytes
limit" part.

Also, 48GB of memory and it's only using 1.4GB.  Not sure if using more
would make a difference, or exactly what the rev cache Mbytes limit is all
about.