[argyllcms] Re: Metameric Mismatch

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:45:57 -0700

On Oct 10, 2014, at 10:52 AM, Brad Funkhouser <brad.funkhouser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> What tools and techniques would help me gain a better understanding of any
> metameric mismatch that is happening?  I'd love to be able to predict it and
> quantify it. I'm not sure where to start.

You can do one better.

Make your own charts using the same pigments as your artists are using. Doesn't
take any skills more advanced than you learned in kindergarden -- or, you could
elicit the help of one of your artists if you don't have ready access to the
materials.

Keep the charts relatively physically small; 8" x 10" is an easy-to-work with
size. Use larger patches, on the order of half-inch squares, meaning you'd have
room for ~300 patches per chart, or ~100 for larger patches. As much as
possible, strive for uniformity of application, which will take either a
couple-few coats if you don't know what you're doing or some careful brushwork
if you do.

Don't be afraid to make multiple charts; they're trivial to merge
electronically with Argyll. Just be most carefully consistent in your workflow
-- the exact same lighting, exposure, everything, for both shooting the charts
and the artwork. Doesn't hurt to shoot the charts each time you set up the
studio for a copy run just to be sure. If you wind up with a chart each for
watercolor, oil, litho, etc., go ahead and shoot them all (as well as your
inkjet) even if you're just shooting one medium; the more patches, the better.

If you want a single does-everything chart, go for Golden Fluid Acrylics.
They've got the same basic chemistry as all other artist pigments use but they
tend to be both more saturated and easier to work with. You'll need to mix many
of them with white to bring the chroma values up, but include multiple tints
including solid masstones. You'll need to apply them to a well-gessoed surface
that's been sanded smooth; plexiglass makes a good substrate (apply thickly
with a roller for a few coats, then another coat or two with a squeegee for a
smooth surface, then work your way up through sandpaper grades to a glossy
finish). If you've got enough patches to spare, mix up not just tints but
blends of different pigments; just doing so at random is going to get you some
metameric matches.

Cheers,

b&