[argyllcms] Metameric Mismatch

  • From: "Brad Funkhouser" <brad.funkhouser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:52:28 -0500

For building camera profiles, I primarily use targets created with Argyll on
an Epson 9900 printer.   So the target patches are constructed from just 7
pigmented colors plus 3 levels of black.  I measure them with Eye-One Pro
Rev D in high resolution mode.

It seems like there must be some degree of metameric failure going on when
I'm using these camera profiles to capture images from a wide variety of
sources:  watercolors, colored pencil, pastels, photographic papers,
acryllic paint, lithographic prints, oil paint, etc.

What tools and techniques would help me gain a better understanding of any
metameric mismatch that is happening?  I'd love to be able to predict it and
quantify it.  I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks.

- Brad