[argyllcms] Re: Lighting IT8.7/2 targets for camera profiling

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:13:24 +0400

Hello, Stephen!

I am intending to profile my camera. The calibration file for my IT8.7/2 target
is calculated with "light D50, viewing angle 2". So, the correct light to
photograph this target is D50?Yes.

Light sources I can think of are: early morning sunlight, mid-morning sunlight,
noon daylight (too much UV? the target is printed on paper with OBA),
It may be better, may be not if You calculate D50 target data with OBA
compensation. Try both. Then You'll can choose the best variant or choose the
different UV-level for compensation. Of course You should measure target with
non UV-filtered instrument.

 simulated daylight (Solux 4700K halogen lamps, I have four but the total light
is still rather dim compared to the mighty sun),Yes. The lamps are dim. But if
they are Your stationary studio light, You can do the profiling with them, I
suppose,

electronic flash (is the spectral power distribution adequate?). Which light
source is recommended?
Just do the profiling with all reasonable light sources, You'll can choose the
needed and appropriate profiles after that.

Another question: 288 patches is not many for a CLUT profile and should I use a
shaper-matrix profile instead?Of course (for ArgyllCMS).

Stephen.

Best regards, Nikolay.