[argyllcms] Lighting IT8.7/2 targets for camera profiling

  • From: Stephen T <stwebvanuatu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 05:35:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I am intending to profile my camera. The calibration file for my IT8.7/2 target
is calculated with "light D50, viewing angle 2". So, the correct light to
photograph this target is D50?

Light sources I can think of are: early morning sunlight, mid-morning sunlight,
noon daylight (too much UV? the target is printed on paper with OBA), simulated
daylight (Solux 4700K halogen lamps, I have four but the total light is still
rather dim compared to the mighty sun), electronic flash (is the spectral power
distribution adequate?). Which light source is recommended?

Another question: 288 patches is not many for a CLUT profile and should I use a
shaper-matrix profile instead?

Stephen.