[argyllcms] Re: Inquiry with Colorvision

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:09:21 -0800

On Friday 25 January 2008 12:33:07 Lars Tore Gustavsen wrote:

> > > I have seen one other reference to this type of statement coming out of
> > > ColorVision's Europeon divisions. But when you contact them on the US
> > > side they do not say anything about future Linux support. Is it real or
> > > is it fake? I don't know but I don't think it matters since the company
> > > is
> >
> > clearly
> >
> > > hostile to the open source community. Don't buy their products until
> > > that has changed.
>
> If I should guess, I think it's true. It can not be so hard since  the
> latest linux build of their optical software 3.6.2, are from 15. Jan
> 2007. But I guess we are more interested in the specification, than in
> their software.

I can't find any reference on their web site to any software the runs on
Linux.  Optical only appears in their download archive (IE. old software) and
only for Win and Mac and is labeled as "***no longer supported***".   Perhaps
if you are not in the US the Linux version also shows up.  I suspect that
this software only supports spyder1 devices and it is likely that this is the
software that they support for Disney.

ColorVision will not even give open source programmers access to their SDK
documents let alone the device protocol.  But they will make the SDK
available to any closed source app that asks for it.  We have had a number of
open source developers ask them for both access to the SDK and for
documentation on the device protocols and they have responded with a
statement that it is against company policy to give any support to open
source applications.  So we know that this is their official policy.  Like I
said they are hostile to the open source community and they have very clearly
communicated this to us.

Hal