[argyllcms] Re: Imaginary colors

  • From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
  • To: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 07:47:41 +0100

On Friday, December 7, 2012, 2:51:40 AM, Ben wrote:

BG> On Dec 6, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Technically an imaginary color is any color
>> that needs negative light in it's spectrum to produce its
>> XYZ values.

BG> Staying off-topic with the basic lessons on color theory...how
BG> dependent are imaginary colors on the person doing the observing?

The spectral locus uses the 1931 two-degree standard observer. If the actual
observer differs significantly from that. the standard observer does not
describe them.

BG> I'm thinking of dichromats v trichromats v tetrachromats. Are the
BG> confusing colors on the standard color blindness tests imaginary
BG> to people who can't read them? Are there colors that are imaginary
BG> in the standard color models that are real for tetrachromats?

I believe the answers to those would be yes and yes, but would be interested to
see more articulated responses. I do however have a niggling doubt that
dichromats of the three different types can *see* all the usual colors, they
just cant *discriminate* between them as well/at all compared to a standard
observer.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG