[argyllcms] Re: Imaginary colors

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 18:51:40 -0700

On Dec 6, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Technically an imaginary color is any color
> that needs negative light in it's spectrum to produce its
> XYZ values.

Staying off-topic with the basic lessons on color theory...how dependent are
imaginary colors on the person doing the observing?

I'm thinking of dichromats v trichromats v tetrachromats. Are the confusing
colors on the standard color blindness tests imaginary to people who can't read
them? Are there colors that are imaginary in the standard color models that are
real for tetrachromats?

In other words, are there actual real-world spectra that correspond with
imaginary colors and it's just our visual systems that're unable to distinguish
them, or do they represent something that truly doesn't exist?

Cheers,

b&