[argyllcms] Re: I1 pro2 Response slow, always wrong strip reading

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 15:45:31 +1000

Keramika wrote:

1. I have Yosemite and I1pro2, and 1.8.2
When I start to reading chart and press button on the device, I have to wait
up to 10 sec to hear the sound to start.

This turns out to be a problem with how OS X 10.9's "App Nap feature" works.

It seems to ignore the fact that chartread:

1) Is started by the user in a shell terminal.
2) Continues to interacting with the user via the shell terminal.
3) Has visible output to the user via the shell terminal
4) Is doing I/O to a USB device.

and starts inserting 10 second sleeps at random intervals
into chartreads execution, on the assumption that it is
somehow a "background process".

I'm investigating how I can correct App Nap's myopic view
of what constitutes "user facing" applications.