[argyllcms] Re: Huey used with Samsung XL20?

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:24:39 -0500

On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 09:23 -0700, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> On Saturday 11 April 2009 09:02:16 am Leonard Evens wrote:
> > I got my new Samsung XL20.  It comes with a Huey, and the cradle even
> > says XL20 on it.  I thought I would see what happens if I use it for
> > calibration.
> >
> > But the information about how to use it seems minimal.  The  user manual
> > for the monitor tells me the functions of various parts of the device.
> > And it tells me various things about the cradle, including
> >
> > 1. The cradle allows the calibrater to stand at a similar angle to the
> > monitor.
> > 2. There are grooves in the circumference and at the bottom of the
> > cradle, which you can use to arrange the USB cable neatly. When not
> > used, you can also place the USB port here.
> >
> > So what is the cradle for?
>
> The X-Rite software supports using the Huey to make periodic changes to the
> calibration and/or CM setup as the lighting conditions change.  So this is
> only useful on Windows and OS/X machines if you use the X-Rite supplied
> software.

Aha!  So that is the point of the angle.  The only problem is that the
steepest angle involved is well less than 90 degrees.  I don't think
I've ever used a monitor tilted back that far.   Currently I am keeping
my monitor plumb.  I guess it doesn't really matter since I am unlikely
to use that feature.

> > As far as I can see, in use I would have to
> > hold the Huey against the monitor or hang it over the top, but item (1)
> > above suggests that the cradle might be used somehow.
> >
> > There is more information in the documentation for Natural Color Expert,
> > which seems to say I am just supposed to hold the Huey on the monitor.
> >
> > I probably didn't look too carefully, but I couldn't find any
> > information in the Argyll documentation about these matters.
> >
> > When I connect the Huey t o a USB port, and run dispcal, I get
> >
> > dispcal: Error - Configuring USB port 'usb:/bus0/dev0 (GretagMacbeth
> > Huey)' to 1 failed with -1 (could not set config 1: Operation not
> > permitted)
> >
> > This is presumably a simple permissions problem, and I can probably
> > figure out quickly how to solve it, but any hints to save me time would
> > be appreciated.  I couldn't find the place in the documentation
> > discussing how to set things up under Linux to deal with such problems.
>
> udev is your friend here.  Look it up in the Argyll docs.

I still can't find it there---being stupid again.   I don't know why,
but I often find it difficult to find things I've used before in the
ARgyll documentation.

But, in any case, I did remember udev.  I edited
my /etc/udev/rules/10-Argyll.rules file and added an entry for the Huey.
(I looked in /proc/bus/usb/devices to find the product number of the
Huey,  Had I found the Argylll documentation, I could have found the PID
there.)

> > Finally, the monitor has two USB ports, and a place to connect to a USB
> > port on the computer.   The Samsung instructions say I should plug the
> > Huey into a monitor USB port, but doesn't at the same time say that the
> > connection to the computer has to be in place.   Is there some way the
> > Huey is supposed to be running directly from the monitor?
>
> No there needs to be a USB connection to the computer either directly to a
> computer USB port or through a USB HUB like the one on the monitor to one of
> the computer USB ports.
>

> > I will search the archives to see if I can find some of this
> > information.  Also running the vendor software under Windows will
> > probably clarify some things, but perhaps some kind souls will help me
> > save some time about how the HUey is supposed to be used, whether
> > specific to the XL20 or not..
>
> Also the Huey can be affected by bright lights during measurements since it
> does not do as good of a job of blocking off ambient light as other meters.
> So be sure to keep any direct light off of the screen during this process and
> if possible use it in a dark room.

My setup is pretty good that way, and the hood helps some.