[argyllcms] Re: Huey used with Samsung XL20?

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:23:03 -0700

On Saturday 11 April 2009 09:02:16 am Leonard Evens wrote:
> I got my new Samsung XL20.  It comes with a Huey, and the cradle even
> says XL20 on it.  I thought I would see what happens if I use it for
> calibration.
>
> But the information about how to use it seems minimal.  The  user manual
> for the monitor tells me the functions of various parts of the device.
> And it tells me various things about the cradle, including
>
> 1. The cradle allows the calibrater to stand at a similar angle to the
> monitor.
> 2. There are grooves in the circumference and at the bottom of the
> cradle, which you can use to arrange the USB cable neatly. When not
> used, you can also place the USB port here.
>
> So what is the cradle for?

The X-Rite software supports using the Huey to make periodic changes to the
calibration and/or CM setup as the lighting conditions change.  So this is
only useful on Windows and OS/X machines if you use the X-Rite supplied
software.

> As far as I can see, in use I would have to
> hold the Huey against the monitor or hang it over the top, but item (1)
> above suggests that the cradle might be used somehow.
>
> There is more information in the documentation for Natural Color Expert,
> which seems to say I am just supposed to hold the Huey on the monitor.
>
> I probably didn't look too carefully, but I couldn't find any
> information in the Argyll documentation about these matters.
>
> When I connect the Huey t o a USB port, and run dispcal, I get
>
> dispcal: Error - Configuring USB port 'usb:/bus0/dev0 (GretagMacbeth
> Huey)' to 1 failed with -1 (could not set config 1: Operation not
> permitted)
>
> This is presumably a simple permissions problem, and I can probably
> figure out quickly how to solve it, but any hints to save me time would
> be appreciated.  I couldn't find the place in the documentation
> discussing how to set things up under Linux to deal with such problems.

udev is your friend here.  Look it up in the Argyll docs.

> Finally, the monitor has two USB ports, and a place to connect to a USB
> port on the computer.   The Samsung instructions say I should plug the
> Huey into a monitor USB port, but doesn't at the same time say that the
> connection to the computer has to be in place.   Is there some way the
> Huey is supposed to be running directly from the monitor?

No there needs to be a USB connection to the computer either directly to a
computer USB port or through a USB HUB like the one on the monitor to one of
the computer USB ports.

> I will search the archives to see if I can find some of this
> information.  Also running the vendor software under Windows will
> probably clarify some things, but perhaps some kind souls will help me
> save some time about how the HUey is supposed to be used, whether
> specific to the XL20 or not..

Also the Huey can be affected by bright lights during measurements since it
does not do as good of a job of blocking off ambient light as other meters.
So be sure to keep any direct light off of the screen during this process and
if possible use it in a dark room.

Hal