[argyllcms] Getting udev rules to work on Ubuntu 6.06

  • From: Neil Woolford <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 18:38:05 +0000

Hi,

First post to the list, so this doesn't attach neatly to the existing
thread, which was argyll "v0.60.2 usb assignments".

In that thread people were having trouble with getting udev magic to set
the permissions for the calibrator device.

I have solved this problem on my Ubuntu based system;  the principles
probably apply to others, the details may vary.

The key point is that the filename for the .rules file for the device
must start with a number higher than 40.  This means that the mode
setting in the udev rule will be processed after rather than before the
system defaults in file 40-permissions.rules.  So 39-dtp94.rules will be
overridden by the defaults, 41-dtp94.rules won't be.

On my system the following single line works fine as 41.dtp94.rules;

SYSFS{idProduct}=="d094", MODE="0666"

Note the equality test operator == in the first section and the
assignment = in the second.  (Following syntax given in the man pages;
it does appear to work with simple = in both cases...)

Current kernels probably have inotify operating, so the rules will
automatically be re-read;  you will need to unplug and replug the device
to make them apply after a change though.

Hope this helps.

Neil

PS  Ubuntu users with administrator privileges can also just run
anything that accesses the device using sudo to give temporary root
status without adding the udev rule.  Nice for testing, though slightly
less convenient and not ok for non-admin users.

PPS  Yes, my rule only tests for the product string, safer to have a
combination of identifiers just in case of clashing naming.