[argyllcms] Re: Getting udev rules to work on Ubuntu 6.06

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:47:56 +1100

Neil Woolford wrote:

The key point is that the filename for the .rules file for the device
must start with a number higher than 40.  This means that the mode
setting in the udev rule will be processed after rather than before the
system defaults in file 40-permissions.rules.  So 39-dtp94.rules will be
overridden by the defaults, 41-dtp94.rules won't be.

Right. Most of the doco recommends the opposite, on the assumption
that the purpose of your new .rules file is to create a specific
device name. I would guess that your approach will only work if the
40-permissions.rules creates a /dev entry for usb devices, in the
form that libusb is looking for (/dev/bus/usb/00M/00N). My system
for instance, has no such rule in the 40-permissions.rules file,
so I suspect your approach wouldn't work since there is nothing
to change the mode of. Perhaps you could identify the rule in
your 40-permissions.rules file that creates the /dev/bus/usb/*
entries ?