[argyllcms] Re: Generate Profile for an 8 color printer

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 19:15:26 +1100

Kai Schaeffer wrote:
I have two CMYK+cmk+g printer and would like to generate a ICC profile
for both of them.The cases are very different so let's separate them:

But unfortunately the calibration wizard is not able to print one of
these images. It creates just an empty page. When I open the tiff file
with Photoshop and save it, then it's working. But somehow I don't trust
it anymore. I have the feeling that it's now just an CMYK image for the
RIP software and the other colors are not used.

It's kind of tricky creating files with more than CMYK, as you never
know what's expected by the RIP.

My questions: I this the right way? How could I check if the printed
test chart uses all the colors?

Create a simple chart that has a small number of single channel
steps (ie. -f0 -e0 -s2).

You do realize though, that Argyll won't currently create a profile with
more channels than CMYK ?

* An Epson 4880 printing on aluminum controlled over standard Epson
printer driver (Windows): How is a profiling working there at all? How
could I print the test chart? I read about generating an RGB profile for
these printer. Is this the way I should go there? Actually I would
prefer an CMYK profile, that I could control the ink limit.

A metallic surface is very difficult, because a standard 0/45
instrument will tend to register unprinted as black. There may
be ways of working around this, but it's not straightforward.