[argyllcms] Generate Profile for an 8 color printer

  • From: Kai Schaeffer <ks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 09:48:01 +0100

Hi Everyone,

I have two CMYK+cmk+g printer and would like to generate a ICC profile
for both of them.The cases are very different so let's separate them:

* An Epson 3880 controlled over a RIP software (ICCprint of Cibercat).
There everything seems to be easy: I generate a target with:

argyll-targen -d 10 -f 1170 <Name>

and them a tiff or ps file:

printtarg -i SS -p A3 -a 1.45 -h <Name>

But unfortunately the calibration wizard is not able to print one of
these images. It creates just an empty page. When I open the tiff file
with Photoshop and save it, then it's working. But somehow I don't trust
it anymore. I have the feeling that it's now just an CMYK image for the
RIP software and the other colors are not used.

My questions: I this the right way? How could I check if the printed
test chart uses all the colors?

* An Epson 4880 printing on aluminum controlled over standard Epson
printer driver (Windows): How is a profiling working there at all? How
could I print the test chart? I read about generating an RGB profile for
these printer. Is this the way I should go there? Actually I would
prefer an CMYK profile, that I could control the ink limit.

Thank you,
Kai

--
Schaeffer AG
Dipl.-Phys. Kai Schaeffer      Vorstand

HRB 93611 B, Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg
Vorstand: Jörg Schaeffer, Kai Schaeffer
Aufsichtsrat: Dieter Kersten (Vorsitzender)