[argyllcms] Re: Gamut clipping to the nearest point on the gamut surface

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:37:09 +1100

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
I'm wondering whether clipping to the nearest point on the gamut surface
is optimal, when we are not dealing with a strictly convex gamut
surface.

Hello Gerhard,
        that thought has occurred to me, and I have looked into
various approaches of mitigating the issues caused by non-convex surfaces.
Within the gamut mapping code itself, there is weighting given to
the smoothness of the mapping, and this tends to override any
potential discontinuities.

Within the colorimetric code, it does strive for a strictly nearest
mapping, since colorimetric accuracy is (assumed) to be the priority
over smoothness for that particular intent.

I did come up with some other ideas too, but haven't bothered trying
to implement them, without some example of this being a real world problem.

cheers,
        Graeme.