[argyllcms] Re: Few questions about spectrophotometers

  • From: Ridouan Agarad <ridouan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:57:49 +0100

On 16-01-2012 13:33, ???? ???? wrote:
Hi everyone

1. Can I measure spectro of ambient light using ColoMunki (not just its chromaticity)?
2. For ambient light measurement I need rev. D of i1 device?
3. In general, i1 without UV filter is better for colour management purposes and it more versatile? 4. And most important question: how bad second-hand i1 or Spectrolino device from ebay?It strongly need recertification? Or recertification is not so needed, in general?

Thanks for attention

Hi,

1. There are 2 types of ColorMunki: the colorimeter (ColorMunki Display and the older ColorMunki Create) and the spectrophotometer variant (ColorMunki Design and ColorMunki Photo). See also their website for more info: www.colormunki.com <http://www.colormunki.com/>
You'll need the spectrophotometer if you want to measure spectrum.

2. AFAIK with the D variant an ambient head measurement thingy is supplied. I don't have a A or B, so I can't check that, but on argyllcms' site it's also mentioned (http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html#i1p)

3. I take it you mean the i1Pro device? In that case: there have been numerous (too much to count really!) discussions on the net on which one to buy. It basically comes down to 'buy the non-UV' i1Pro, unless you actually know you will really need the UV-cut version. It's something along the lines of "you'll know it when you need to have it"...

4. Usually it's a judgment call (is it a demo version, did the previous owner take good care of it, etc. etc. etc.) and it helps if you have another device against which you can verify its accuracy. It also depends on what you plan to do with it. As an extreme example: if you plan to just measure ambient light with it, I guess extreme accuracy/certification won't be on the top of your list. On the other hand, if you plan to profile TV's, printers, etc. you cannot use a device that is in an unknown state. Unless the certification of the device has not expired yet, but even then: you don't know whether the previous owner liked to bang the device against the wall every day... So in short, if I were in your shoes and I would buy a (previously 'thoroughly' used) 2ndhand device I'd certainly recertify it.

Good luck!

Kind regards,
ridouan.