[argyllcms] Re: Don't use old measuring devices -- was: Re: Bugfix for Chroma4 in beta 8

  • From: "Lars Tore Gustavsen" <lars.tore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:41:48 +0100

On 1/22/08, Peter Karp <qmailing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Preben and other owners of "old" colorimeters,
>
> I contacted Graeme off-list and was looking if I can send him an old
> Chroma 4. I did not found a working USB version so that's not
> possible. But I must admit that I'm not that sorry here. And thinking
> more about that I think it's good _not_ to support the Chroma 4,
> Spyder 1 or similar old devices at all ;-)
>
> I strongly advice _not_ to use such an old colorimeter today:
>
> 1) They are suited only for CRT
> 2) The filters age and it's more then likely that the readings the
> instrument will give will be _far_ off.
>
> So when you calibrate/profile your display the profile will be
> meaningless. But even worse: you might think your display would be
> calibrated while it is far off! So working without colormangement and
> knowing that the colors will be arbitrary might be a better option
> then using such an old aged device and _thinking_ you would work with
> accurate colors!

Just a few question since this I am curious man.
So you think it's possible to go thru the entire calibration/profiling
process with a faulty device and still don't get suspicious high
errors?

> If you want to measure reflective colors a new i1 Pro (Revision D,
> don't buy a used one with Revision A or B) will be more expensive, but
> you can buy the package "Eye One Photo LT", which is not that
> expensive and then you can use the free X-Rite program ColorPort to
> create and measure targets and use Argyll for profile creation. That's
> a good option IMO.

I wonder what benefit colorport have over argyllcms?

Reading charts with chartread/printread and an eye-one pro in two
directions are a pleasure. I typical read 4 A4 pages in 10 min, and
most of the time I don't even have to look at the monitor. I don't
think that I would be any faster with other software.  And for me
personally I don't have other option since I am on Linux.

The charts created by argyllcms are as far as I understand it very
good. But the math behind this is far over my head, but do you think
colorport created chart are better?

Regards
Lars Tore Gustavsen