[argyllcms] Don't use old measuring devices -- was: Re: Bugfix for Chroma4 in beta 8

  • From: Peter Karp <qmailing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Preben Soeberg <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:34:29 +0100

Dear Preben and other owners of "old" colorimeters,

I contacted Graeme off-list and was looking if I can send him an old
Chroma 4. I did not found a working USB version so that's not
possible. But I must admit that I'm not that sorry here. And thinking
more about that I think it's good _not_ to support the Chroma 4,
Spyder 1 or similar old devices at all ;-)

I strongly advice _not_ to use such an old colorimeter today:

1) They are suited only for CRT
2) The filters age and it's more then likely that the readings the
instrument will give will be _far_ off.

So when you calibrate/profile your display the profile will be
meaningless. But even worse: you might think your display would be
calibrated while it is far off! So working without colormangement and
knowing that the colors will be arbitrary might be a better option
then using such an old aged device and _thinking_ you would work with
accurate colors!

I surely understand when someone does not want or simply can't spend
too much money for things like that, but buying a new colorimeter
is not expensive any longer. So please do yourself a favour and don't
fiddle with such an old instrument which once _was_ a measuring device
for color.

I personally would look for an X-Rite DTP94. You still can buy new
devices from some OEMs (Eizo, Quatographic and some others). I'm
biased here, but you can contact me off-list and I can help you to
find a source for a DTP94. But any new device will be a big
improvement over an aged device like the Sequel Chroma and Gamma
colorimeters. I personally would even be sceptical when using an
EyeOne Display version 1, because they already could be "off".
Please note that I do _not_ say that all EyeOne Display 1 are not
usable any longer!

If you want to measure reflective colors a new i1 Pro (Revision D,
don't buy a used one with Revision A or B) will be more expensive, but
you can buy the package "Eye One Photo LT", which is not that
expensive and then you can use the free X-Rite program ColorPort to
create and measure targets and use Argyll for profile creation. That's
a good option IMO.

Best regards
Peter